The Purananuru is a source of information on the political and social history of prehistoric Tamil Nadu. There is information on the various rulers who ruled the Tamil country before and during the Sangam era.
- Chera Nadu or Konga/Kongu Nadu
- Chola Nadu
- Pandya Nadu
- Tondai Nadu/Tondaimandalam Etc..
1. Chera Nadu or Konga/Kongu Nadu (Tamil:சேரநாடு)
The kingdom of the Chera dynasty comprised the modern Western Tamil Nadu and Kerala, Together with Chola and Pandya, they are one of the three major dynasties in Tamil speaking regions.
Based on the climatic conditions and agricultural status, each country has their own breed suited their eco conditions.
Geographic location : Chera dynasty
- East: Yercaud and Kollimalai mountains.
- West: Vellingiri hills, Walayar, Anaiamalai mountains
- North: The Nilgiris Mountain ranges
- South: Kodaikkanal mountains, Sirumalai mountains
- Kangayam (Mee Konga, Mekattu madu) /click to read more
- Tiruchengodu (Mazha Konga, Kikattu madu)
- Bargur (Semmarai, Malayan) /click to read more
- Alambadi /click to read more
- Kollimalai – Seravaroyan hill cattle
2. Chola Nadu (Tamil: சோழநாடு)
1.Vadakarai (Soliya Vadakarai)
3.Umbalachery (Mottai cattle,Tanjore polled cattle) /click to read more
3. Pandya Nadu (Tamil:பாண்டிய நாடு)
Pandya Nadu dynasty ruled their county from their capital Korkai later shifted to madurai,
2.Pulikulam (Jallikattu) /click to read more
4. Tondai Nadu/Tondaimandalam: (Tamil: தொண்டைநாடு)
Thondai mandalam region covers the north most part of Tamil Nadu. This includes districts which formed a part of the traditional Pallava kingdom. The boundaries of Tondai mandalam include Chennai, Tiruvallur, Vellore, Kanchipuram, Tiruvannamalai and the northern part of Viluppuram district in Tondai mandalam, and group the southern part of Viluppuram District, the Union Territory of Pondicherry and Cuddalore District under a separate region called “Nadu Naadu”in Tondai mandalam. A larger Tondai mandalam include all of these. Also, The Tondai mandalam region extend to cover Chittoor and Nellore districts which is now in Andhra Pradesh.
Cattle Breed :
3. Punganur /click to read more