- Ponwar is an indigenous cattle breed of India. It is known to be originated at Ponwar in Puranpur Taluk in Pilibhit district of Uttar Pradesh state and the breed is named after the same place.
- The cattle are also restricted to the small geographic area adjoining Ponwar.
- The cattle are known to be very active and are of fiery disposition.
- They exhibit dual colored complexion of black and white. It is a draught breed and is mainly used for cart pulling.
- There is no particular pattern but black and white patches are intermixed.
- They possess medium-sized horns, which generally emerge outward, upward and then curve inward with pointed tips.
- They move in groups putting their heads down in between each other which is a peculiar behavior that has emerged due to fear from predators.
- Females are generally not milked and calves are allowed to suckle the milk.
We are currently searching for additional photographs and information on this breed. If you have materials which we could borrow or if you know of a potential source please contact us using the comment form below.
Read More: Other Native cattle
For More information and purchase on different indigenous breeds
Alambadi Cattle | Amrit Mahal Cattle | Bachaur cattle | Bargur Cattle | Gir Breed |Kasaragod Dwarf Cattle | Kherigarh Cattle | Krishna Valley cattle | Malnad Gidda Cattle | Mewati Breed | Ongole breed cattle | Ponwar Breed | Pulikulam Cattle | Umblachery Cattle | Vechur Cattle Breed
Read More: Native Dog breed
For More information on Indian native dog breeds.
Banjara Greyhound | Bully kutta mastiff | Chippiparai Hound | Gaddi Kutta mastiff | Indian Spitz | Jonangi breed | Kanni hound dog | Kombai/Combai hound dog | Mudhol Hound | Pandikona Hound | Rajapalayam Hound | Rampur Hound
Also Read : Other Blog
How to Recognise Native British Cattle Breeds | The American Bison | Recognized indigenous cattle breeds of India | List of Bos Indicus Breeds – Zebu Breed | First Domesticated Cattle in the World : Origin of Modern Cows Traced | 40 million cows to get Aadhaar like number at cost of Rs 50 crore in 1st phase : Budget 2018 | Registration of livestock/poultry breeds rises to 169: Govt | Chennai to host expo of indigenous native cattle breeds on Jan 6 and 7. | Kerala Sets up a special reproduction centre to help grow Vechur cattle population | Andhra pradesh well poised to become a seed hub, says Bill Gates | Using Cow Dung of Indigenous Breeds, This Farmer Makes Lakhs from Organic Papaya | Kampala to host 2017 livestock show | Cargill to plough millions into animal nutrition business in India | Supreme Court issues notice to Tamil Nadu government on PETA plea against jallikattu | Haryana govt plans PGs for cattle to boost milk production | Molecular Characterisation of Rathi and Tharparkar Indigenous Cattle (Bos indicus) | Embryo transfer technology to be used to carry out 440 embryo transfers in cattle in 9 days | ‘Rettamalai Ondikaruppu’ Temple Bull , is no more | Decline in indigenous cow breeds: NGT summons official | Maharashtra moos to boost desi/Indigenous cow varieties | Soon desi cow’s milk will be sold through medical stores: Warns Rajasthan minister | Telangana ties up with Brazil to improve Desi milk production | Project Mooo: supporting India’s dairy farmers with sustainable technology | Government allocates ₹2.5 cr. for protection of native cattle breeds | Project to preserve indigenous cattle – Karnataka.| Alanganallur was the most crowded village today in India! | Tamils Gathered in America, To show Support Jallikattu!! |